3 Simple Solutions To Adult Acne That Barely Cost Anything
When it comes to being an adult, and having acne…the two could not be worse suited for one another. When you graduate to your 20’s or 30’s, you expect to seal the envelope of acne with a kiss. Yet, that doesn’t always happen. This makes for a great disappointment. If you’re one of those people who are struggling with adult acne, worry not, you aren’t alone. In fact, approximately 50 million Americans suffer from acne–50% of adult women and 25% of adult men have it.1
So before you enter the black hole of self-doubt and “I’m doomed to be like my high school yearbook photo forever!”, let us help you. First, we should go over what causes acne, since knowing the main causes can help you start to mentally make a checklist of culprits to share with your dermatologist.
Common Culprits of Acne
If this were a game of Clue, we’d have it narrowed down to you with a bag of chips in your hands in the kitchen. However, it’s not that simple with adult acne. Instead, there are several factors that can play a role in having a breakout or breakouts. Here are the top ones:
You are what you eat, after all. It’s important that you limit your consumption of sugar daily, as this is one factor that is known to increase the insulin levels in your body, which in turn can result in the production of skin oils (ultimately leading to an excess that can lead to a breakout). If you’re really struggling for something sweet, try having fruit!
If your life has been consisting of yelling “ahh!” and downing coffee, well, here’s a sign that it may be time to chill out. Stress is a factor that causes acne, and that makes sense, since stress signals a bunch of not great triggers in the body leading it out of homeostasis (aka balance) into freak out territory.
Did you know that beauty sleep isn’t just a corny phrase told to you by your mom? In fact, getting a decent night’s rest allows the body to restore itself. If you find your sleep patterns being cut short, this is one factor that can be playing a role in the appearance of acne. Make sure your room isn’t overheated since that will cause the production of sweat while you’re snoozing, which is another cause of acne.
If you’re suffering from acne, it’s time to do a thorough check-in on the products you’re currently using. Avoid harsh chemicals and aim to find products that are labeled “non-comedogenic”. It’s also a good idea to buy more paraben-free face creams if you’re susceptible to acne. One to get you started is our Retinol (Ultra Potent Vitamin A Cream)…it makes for a great moisturizer to hydrate the skin!
Take Charge & Change
- Get more sleep! If you’re having trouble sleeping occasionally because of life events, try to turn off your phone before bedtime or make warm honey and milk to soothe your body.
- Wash Your Sheets/Pillowcases on the Reg: Don’t sleep with dirty sheets. Make sure you’re washing your pillowcases and linens every week. Naturally, as you sleep, dirt and other particles accumulate on your bed linens. This doesn’t result in great things for your skin when you’re laying down in them for eight hours.
- Eat Better & Cleanse Smarter: Clean up your diet and lessen your sugar intake to help ward off one factor in the game of acne. Make sure to use sunscreen and don’t cleanse more than twice a day.
While these are just suggestions, as mentioned above, it’s important to get an opinion from a dermatologist. If you’re acne has been consistent for years, is painful or you have made lifestyle changes with little results, you should consult a professional.
DIY Honey Cleanser
Scared of bees? You shouldn’t be! They produce honey which is a great helper in keeping your skin looking fresh. This is an easy-to-make cleanser that consists of nothing more than your bathroom sink, a washcloth and honey. Cheap and effective!
Steps to use:
- Wet face with warm water
- When damp, apply a teaspoon of honey from a jar into your hands. Rub in circular motion on the face.
- Let sit for 5 minutes
- Wash off with warm water, and use your wash cloth to dry.
Loved this post? Love us? Sign up to receive emails on our crazy deals and more posts like this today!
Health & Happiness,