Have a couple bananas that are a bit past their prime?
Why not do what people have been doing for years–make banana bread from them! And, in the spirit of the season, why not combine them with apples and nuts for a truly fall-tastic bread that can be enjoyed at every holiday party!
We put a vegan twist on this classic recipe, which is so packed with flavor and satisfying moist-meets-crunch texture that your family may be hard-pressed to not eat the entire loaf in one sitting. Grab the recipe below, and be sure to let us know how yours came out in the comments!
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 apple (try using honeycrisp or granny smith for a tangy bite!)
- 1/2 cup sweetener (we used coconut sugar, but honey, xylitol, & stevia are great options!)
- 1 & 3/4 cup flour (can be substituted with most low-carb or gluten-free flours)
- 1/2 cup cinnamon apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped nuts (we used walnuts!)
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel & dice your apple (and snack on the remaining half!).
- 2. In a mixing bowl, mash your peeled bananas. Add the rest of your ingredients (minus the nuts) and stir to mix well.
- 3. Spray your loaf pan (a 9 inch pan should be perfect) and pour in your mixture. Sprinkle the top with your chopped nuts.
- 4. Pop in the oven for 50 minutes. Test to make sure it's completely cooked by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out dry, you're all set! If not, keep it in the oven for another 5 minutes or so.
- 5. Let cool, serve, and enjoy!
How did yours turn out? Did you add something special to the recipe? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments!
Health & happiness,
Like it? Pin it!