What do you look for in your snacks?
Crunchy? Homemade? Packed with nutrition? So good you simply have to go back for more? If you’re staring at this blog saying, “Yes!” to any of these, we’ve got a quick & easy healthy recipe for a snack you’ll make time and time again: Chia Crispies!
These seeds come from the Salvia hispanica plant, an annual herb that is actually a member of the mint family. They have been in cultivation for centuries—dating back to the ancient Aztecs of the 16th century! Chia seeds are naturally jam-packed with wholesome nutrients, such as omega-3 essential fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants and B-vitamins.
Try out this recipe for yourself and be sure to let us know how yours turned out, and of course any adjustments you made to fit your flavor style!
- 1. Preheat your oven to 300°F. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.
- 2. Melt your coconut oil. Combine with water in a separate bowl, then add to dry ingredients and mix until an evenly distributed batter is formed.
- 3. Let your batter sit for approximately 20-30 minutes. This allows the chia seeds to absorb the moisture, turning the batter into a thick dough.
- 4. Place your dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll evenly and as thin as possible (approximately 1/8 inch thick). Carefully remove the top parchment paper and, with a knife or pizza cutter, cut your dough into your desired shape & size.
- 5. Transfer the dough (including the bottom parchment paper) onto a baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until nice and golden brown and crisp!
- 6. Let cool, then break apart at your pre-cut edges. Serve alone or with your favorite hummus and enjoy!
How did your crispies come out? Which seeds did you choose to use in addition to chia? Any special seasoning? Share your results with us in the comments!